Frequently Asked Questions on, submission of on-line applications for verification of answer books
Please note that this paper is merely an attempt to provide answers to questions on the subject, posed to us, by the candidates from time to time, to the extent possible and with reference to the extant scheme of examination. However, this compilation is neither exhaustive not does it purport to be a source of complete information on the subject. Hence, candidates are advised, in their own interest, to refer to the "Guidance Notes" supplied along with the examination application form, besides referring to the Chartered Accountants Regulations, 1988.
1. What are the regulatory provisions regarding verification of answer books?
The regulatory provisions regarding verification of answer books are contained in Regulation 39(4) of the Chartered Accountants Regulations 1988, which are hosted on the Institute's website www.icai.org .
Further, you may also refer to the announcement in this regard in the Students/Examination/FAQ section of the Institute’s website www.icai.org or the Guidance Notes supplied along with the examination application forms.
2. Is it necessary that I should submit the verification application on-line only or can I submit the same by post also?
Submission of on-line verification application through portal is not mandatory. You can submit your verification application along with the Demand Draft for the applicable fees, by registered post or speed post. Do not send your application by courier/ordinary post. Please superscribe the envelope with the name of the exam, i.e Final or Intermediate(IPC) as the case may be.
ONLY ONE ONLINE APPLICATION FOR A ROLL NUMBER WILL BE ACCEPTED. PLEASE APPLY CAREFULLY.
3. Why should I use the portal?
Submission of verification application and making payment of verification fees on-line is more convenient. You also save on the time and money spent on purchasing a draft.
4. Is there any difference in the verification fees between on-line submission and physical submission of verification application?
No. The verification fees, whichever mode you use, is the same. For Final, Intermediate (IPC)E/ATE, Intermediate (IPC)E/ATE-Units, it is Rs 100/- per paper subject to a maximum of Rs 400/- for all papers of a group/both groups. For CPT, the verification fee is Rs 200/-
5. I have already applied for inspection/certified copies of my evaluated answer books. Can the same application be treated as an application for verification also? Can I apply for verification after I inspect/get copies of my evaluated answer books?
An application by an examinee seeking inspection of his/her evaluated answer books and/or certified copies thereof is independent of and distinct from an application made by him/her for verification of marks under the existing Regulation 39(4) of the Chartered Accountants Regulations, 1988.
An application for inspection/certified copies is not treated as a verification application.
Inspection/certified copies of evaluated answer books provides information for your academic guidance but does not provide any remedy in case of any discrepancies that may be noticed in inspection/certified copies.
The remedy lies in the process of verification of answer books, which is independent and distinct from the inspection/certified copies process. Hence, you may make a separate application for verification of answer books, without waiting for inspection/certified copies of answer books.
You may note that application for verification of answer books has to be made within one month from the date of declaration of results, whereas application for inspection/certified copies has to be made within 75 days (without late fee) and beyond 75 days but within 90 days (with late fee) from the date of declaration of results.
6. Can I apply for, both, verification as well as inspection/copies of my evaluated answer books?
Yes. You can apply for both verification as well as inspection/copies of your evaluated answer books by following the prescribed procedure. However, in case you send them by post, do not send both the applications together in the same envelope. Send them by separate envelopes. Take care to superscribe the envelope with the name of the examination, the application relates to.
7. What are the steps involved in making an on-line application?
( ONLY ONE ONLINE APPLICATION FOR A ROLL NUMBER WILL BE ACCEPTED. PLEASE APPLY CAREFULLY. )
• Log on to http://icaiexam.icai.org
• Click on the Menu "Apply Online For Verification, Inspection &/Or Certified Copies"
• Select the examination, papers of which you want to verify
• Enter your roll number and Personal Identification Number (PIN) ( as contained in the exam form you had submitted for this exam)
• A data entry screen will appear. Fields relating to your name, registration number and medium of the examination would be populated from the data base. You will have to enter the following data in the respective fields:
Address for communication
Land line number
Select the papers you want to be verified.
• Please note that you can only select the papers in which you had appeared. In case of any wrong selection, the system will give an error message "Invalid selection".
• Upload scanned copy of your handwritten request( duly signed) containing all the relevant details. If you appeared in the exam, in Hindi, then the application must be in Hindi and if you appeared in the Exam in English then the application must be in English.
• In case of any discrepancy between the papers to be verified as mentioned in the scanned image and those ticked in the portal, the latter shall prevail.
• Once you select "SUBMIT" on the said screen, a confirmation page with the details, name, registration number, roll no., address, mobile no. landline number, email address and papers to be verified etc will appear. Please check all the details entered by you including the scanned image uploaded. You have to confirm the data you have filled in, by clicking on the "CONFIRM" button. In case any of the details you have filled in is incorrect, you can go back and make the necessary corrections wherever required, come back and confirm.
• Once you confirm the data, you will be directed to the payment page where you can make the payment either through your credit/debit card, master/visa/maestro. Payment by net banking is not permitted.
• Once payment is successful, a payment confirmation page will appear on the screen giving details of Rollno, Papers Applied for Verification, Amount Paid, Transaction Response, Control No etc with a remark "TRANSACTION SUCCESSFUL" against the Transaction Response.
• Take a print out of the payment confirmation page, which serves the purpose of acknowledgement from the Institute and keep it safely for your reference. That will be the acknowledgement. Remember to quote the transaction number appearing on the payment confirmation page in all future correspondence on the subject with the Institute.
• If the transaction is not successful, you can retry.
8. The amount of verification fees got deducted from my account but I do not get a "Successful" transaction screen. What do I do now?
If the screen shows the status of your transaction as "Not successful", then that means your verification request is not received by us, even though the fee might have been deducted from your bank account. In such cases, office will not be able to process your application, since the application is not there with the office. The fee relating to the failed transaction will be credited back to your account as per the procedure, prescribed in answer to question number 11.
9. Is it necessary that I should upload scanned copy of my handwritten verification application on the portal? What happens if I do not upload the same?
Yes. It is mandatory to upload scanned copy of your handwritten verification application (duly signed by you) on the portal. In case you are unable to do so or you are not able to log onto the portal, you can send your hand written verification application along with the Demand Draft for the applicable fees by speed post/registered post to the following address:
The Additional Secretary (Exams)
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
New Delhi 110 002
Please note that if the uploaded scanned image is not your handwritten application, but of some other document, then also your application will not be processed by the office. Such an application, even if it is a "SUCCESSFUL TRANSACTION", will not be treated as a valid application and will not be processed.
10. Can I start filling in the application for verification on-line and complete the same later?
Yes, you can do so, until you make successful payment, after which stage you cannot make changes.
11. While making an online verification application, the verification fees got deducted twice from my bank account. How do I get a refund of the excess amount paid by me? What is the procedure for claiming the excess fee payment arising on account of multiple payments/lost/failed transactions etc?
Multiple payments, if any, received by the Institute for a single student, will be identified by the system and are refunded for the credit of the respective accounts from where they originated, by the office, within 45 days of the last date for submission of application.
In case you do not get a refund within 45 days from the last date for submission of application, you can claim by writing to us within 60 days from the last date for submission of application, along with documentary evidence, such as bank/credit card statement, of having paid the verification fees more than once. ICAI will verify the same and refund the excess amount received, if any, paid by you.
12. I have filled the on-line verification application and paid the verification fees on line. Do I still have to take a print out and send it to ICAI and if yes, where should I send it?
No. Once you have received confirmation on the screen that your transaction is successful, you need not send anything further by post.